The building was Gothic and consisted of a nave, chancel, west tower with embattled parapet and pinnacles, one bell, and to seat 400 people. 250 seats were free and unappropriated. The bell was broughtt form Eastwood Old Church when it was pulled down; it bears on inscription “God Save the Queen 1713” and is believed to be a ship’s bell.
A Vestry was added in 1890, and a gallery increased the seating capacity by a further 117 seats. The first Vicar was Rev. Henry Middleton, to whom a tablet is erected in Church, and Middleton Aveune is named after him.
In 1834, a Mr. Hickeing of Codnor, tenant farmer of Dr. Starbuck Wooley of Heanor, located a font which was being used as a pump through and was placed in the garden of Dr. Wolley. It was the font from the Church of St. Nicholas, the Church to Codnor Castle, and is now at the Church of Crosshill.
On the 2nd January 1875, the new heating system exploded with terrific force, tearing away the staircase to the tower, the gallery doors, and the entrance to the church.